Wednesday, February 20, 2013

What's for dinner Wednesday: GF/V "Mac'n'Veg"

I am a big fan of recipes I can make and then have left overs that are edible. Some are, some aren't. This one, my friends, is a winner.

In my house, we don't eat gluten or dairy, so the kid friendly staple mac'n'cheese has been out of the picture. But, I came up with a recipe this month that 4 nonvegan/gluten free kids have all enjoyed. Putting Kraft to shame, right here!

I would like to introduce the ingredients, first.

1. Tinkyada brown rice farefelle or spiral noodles. These are THE best gf noodle on the planet. Blew my socks off the first time I tried them. A bit pricey ($4/1lb non-sale price, but you can get a 1lb bag as low as 2.50$ on sale), but they come in about 10 different varieties, including spaghetti, lasagna, and even veggie (yum).

2. Nutritional yeast. It comes in many varieties, but I get the flakes. It can be found at any health food/natural food store. This is the staple to this recipe. It is highly nutritous (vitamin and mineral rich, pluls protein and some fiber.), and it tastes like a very mild cheese! My son actually eats handfuls of it, and loves it on popcorn instead of salt.

3. Vegit. This is an all purpose seasoning that I use on everything, from sandwiches, salads, dressings, popcorn, pasta, veggies...etc. made 100% from plant seasonings, all natural, and highly flavorful. Worth the 4$ cost for a small jar. Goes a long way and makes you crave veggies!

Okay, so now you know what the ingredients are, here is the recipe. Read thru to get all ingredients.

1. Boil 2 cups dried pasta until al dente. (I usually also put about 1/2 cup small chopped broccoli in the last 2 or 3 mintues. Keeps those extra dishes clean...)
2. Put pasta (and veggies, if you added them) back into the pan. Add 1 tbsp coconut oil and 2tbsp almond milk (I use the silk 30 cal/cup unsweetened kind).
3. Heat the mixture on med. Add 3 tbsp nutritional yeast, and 1/2 tbsp of vegit, and 1tsp garlic salt. Mix well, and let cook for 2 mins.
4. Dish up and serve! Kids will nom nom nom this great recipe!

Please, let me know if you've tried it. I make this 2-3x per week, and my son really loves it. Sometimes, to make it thicker and add protein, I've also added pureed white beans, but normally I just serve it with black beans mixed in.

The pic shown is actually made with brown rice, which is another option, too! This is a very versatile sauce, so use it wherever deemed necessary! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm vegan cheeeeeeeeeeeese!

<3 Ameli


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about this post? I would LOVE to hear your opinions! <3